Phone: 0049 67 84 70 150
This Gas Pressure and Temperature Measuring System developed in cooperation with the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Material Research (IFAM) in Dresden, is for use with the Planetary Mills PULVERISETTE 4, PULVERISETTE 5, PULVERISETTE 6 of the FRITSCH classic line transform them into analytical measurement systems.
Through the continuous direct measurement of gas pressure and temperature, it is possible to monitor thermal effects as well as physical and chemical reactions or pressure variations within the grinding bowl. To achieve this, the grinding bowl is simply used with a radio transmitter located in the lid, without any modification to the mill itself. The monitored data is passed by a receiver to a computer running a special WINDOWSTM programme and allows for graphical presentation of the measurement values and collating them in an ExcelTM table.
• Data evaluation via PC
• Range of pressure build up to 15 m
• Operating time with fully charged battery approx. 80 h
• Adaptation of measurement rate to the signal dynamic for maximum possible battery life
• Sleep mode of the radio transmitter with consistent measurement signals
• System requirements: Standard WINDOWSTM-PC
• UHF radio transmitter, 10 mW, no approval or fees necessary
• Up to two transmitter components can be operated simultaneously in the mill
• Measurement rate single/ dual transmission operation of up to approx. 200 measurement value/s
• Pressure measurement range 0 to 800 kPa (8 bar)
• Temperature measurement range of the transmitter component 10 to 70 °C
• Resolution of pressure signal: < 0.024 kPa
• Resolution of temperature signal: 0.025 K
• Permissible transient (-2 s) heat of reaction 30 kJ
• Receiver component also functions as charging station for the batteries of transmitter component
• RS232 connection to PC
• 250 ml or 500 ml bowls made of stainless steel
Advantages of the GTM System
The GTM-System can be used wherever batch quantities are ground in a totally enclosed container. Special grinding bowls made of stainless steel in capacities 250 ml and 500 ml are available.
The GTM-System provides valuable information
• Investigations in the area of mechanical alloying for the production of new amorphous and nano-crystalline materials
• Monitoring and optimisation of grinding processes in industrial applications
Through measurement of the grinding bowl temperature, it is possible to make an integral statement on temperature as a process variable that takes account of the effects of all friction, impact and transformation processes. The continuous and highly sensitive measurement of the gas pressure in the grinding bowl allows the detection of very rapid reactions. The measured gas pressure describes, amongst other things, the interactions of the gas with the surfaces created during grinding (adsorption and desorption of gases).
Extremely rapid phase formations can for the first time be observed IN SITU as an adiabatic process without heat exchange from the system.
Adjustment of the grinding parameters rotational speed, balls/ sample material ratio and grinding time can be performed first time without expensive, time-consuming and abortive trials.
Due to precise measurement of reaction times, for example, new materials can be prepared through specific addition of reaction partners, or produced with special mechano-chemical properties.
Equipment: The gas pressure and temperature measuring system (GTM) consists of a 250 ml grinding bowl made of stainless steel with special lid, transmitter and separate receiver.
If further grinding bowls and transmitters are used, please ask for the respective order number!